#1 schmick

schmick

Cynical Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts
  • LocationWhere rocking horse people eat marshmellow pies

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:17 AM

So Brendon has been going hard and heavy with 3 to 4 hours of baseball practice 6 days a week for the last 5 weeks. Lots of running, some time in the weightroom, upper body workouts... During that time he has made it to the track very few times and those have been with just limited riding. Last night he got to ride and seemed to struggle with rust and technique but shockingly his conditioning was his biggest struggle. After an hour or so of riding he struggled to pull all the way down Perris' relatively short first straight. I think the fast feet exercises that he did along with other plyos before baseball started were more helpful than either of us had realized but time on the bike has also been something that he is going to need to make time for. What sort of regimen should he be doing to keep his BMX conditioning up while involved in a sport that uses a whole other set of muscles?
Political Correctness is tyranny with manners—Charlton Heston

#2 Godfather

Godfather

Novie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

stationary bike,upper body work out and sprint's at least 2 night's a week 3 night's a week if you have the time. Godfather.
fuggeta bout it

#3 BmxBurnout

BmxBurnout

Novie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

plyometrics. its common easy and works well imo.
The Internet, Its serious business.

#4 proctor

proctor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

I think your son needs to train more at the " Y "----------- :P Do what we talked about yesterday.... Proctor

#5 mojospops

mojospops

Expert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

have him do some high knee plyos after squats. then hit the spin bike at the end of w/o for some 1 minute drills (1 min full speed 1 min 65 rpm 3 sets to start). It will total about an additional 10 minutes at each workout session but should pay off.

#6 SquirlyKent

SquirlyKent

Novie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Locationunder the sun

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:07 AM

bmxers parents train crazily. what does plyometric imply? is that where you jump up and down like an idiot? or is there more to it. is jumping rope a plyo? how about box jumps? running squares? what about 1 legged plyos? do you pedal on both feet?

#7 mojospops

mojospops

Expert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

bmxers parents train crazily. what does plyometric imply? is that where you jump up and down like an idiot? or is there more to it. is jumping rope a plyo? how about box jumps? running squares? what about 1 legged plyos? do you pedal on both feet?

Maybe so...But the results are there. Some of the BMX parents on here have trained some #1 riders and many podium finishers.

Hopefully it is a serious question??

To me the standard plyometric is a squat jump with both feet. Trying to jump as high as possible with the fastest explosion possible. I call a them high knee plyos when you do the same while trying to bring your knees to your chest. IMO it makes for faster muscle movement.

I also recommend them right after squats, because you have your power muscles (type 2b) fully engaged at that point, and it is a perfect time to train them under those conditions for maximum speed.

Box jumps are good too IMO, along with jump rope but the only way I would include them as a plyometric is if you are dbl jumping.

---Sid

Edited by mojospops, 23 March 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#8 Slim

Slim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationBehind the mic

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

just a thought.....does anyone thing sprinting (on foot) up a sand dune would be beneficial to first straight power? I was thinking running up hill as fast as you can for 10 seconds. since your running up hill it seems that you are bending your legs at about the same extent as you would cycling. Any thoughts? I am just wondering.

#9 mojospops

mojospops

Expert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

It would be good for strength building IMO Not for speed though.

#10 Slim

Slim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationBehind the mic

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

would you maybe follow it up with sprints then? or would that be counter-productive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users