2019 and 2020 UCI BMX Worlds Locations
The UCI BMX World Championships have historically shifted around the globe, from Australia, to South Africa, to Denmark, to the UK to New Zealand, to Holland, to Belgium, to Colombia over the past eight years.
Yesterday, In Doha, Qatar, in a meeting of the UCI Management Committee, assembled for the UCI Road World Championships, the group announced what was called an “Unprecedented number of World Championships.”
Among the 14 World Championship events announced from 2017 to 2020, the 2019 and 2020 UCI BMX World Championships will return to Zolder, Belgium in 2019 and back to the United States in 2020, at the yet-to-be-built North Houston Bike Park in Houston, TX. Returning to the same location, or even the same country in such a short span of time is rare for the event, when compared to the past 10 years of venues.
For the Houston bid, the Harris County – Houston Sports Authority worked in conjunction with the United States Olympic Committee, USA Cycling, USA BMX and Greenspoint Redevelopment Authority to present the winning bid to UCI.
Janis Burke CEO of Harris County-Houston Sports Authority said:
“We are incredibly excited to be awarded the UCI BMX World Championships. Houston’s brand-new North Houston Bike Park is truly impressive with great offerings and appealing fan fest areas than can be utilized in the green spaces surrounding the park. We are looking forward to building our cycling community with these facilities.”
The Houston location is practically next-door from George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), adjacent to Dylan Park. So, it’s a short seven-minute drive west on Rankin road, and you’re there. Not sure what the hotel situation is, but with the airport right there, it is probably easy pickins.
BMXers around the world are gearing up to come to Rock Hill, South Carolina USA for the 2017 UCI BMX World Championships. The Dan’s Comp counter up-top is at 284 days and change, so get your plans in place.
The 2018 Worlds will be in Baku, Azerbaijan (see link below for BMX News story on that event).
In 2019, the Worlds will return to the site of the 2015 Worlds, Circuit Zolder in Belgium.
Which brings us to the 2020 UCI BMX Worlds in Houston, TX USA. This event will be the gateway to the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
BMX News 2016 race coverage sponsored by Dan’s Comp
Here is the full list of World Championships announced in Doha:
• 2017 UCI Mountain Bike Four-cross World Championships – Val di Sole, Italy
• 2018 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships – Maniago, Italy
• 2018 and 2020 UCI Junior Track Cycling World Championships – Aigle, Switzerland
• 2018 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships – Auronzo, Italy
• 2018 UCI Indoor Cycling World Championships – Liège, Belgium
• 2019 UCI Road World Championships – Yorkshire, Great Britain
• 2019 UCI Mountain Bike (and Masters Mountain Bike) World Championships – Mont-Sainte-Anne, Canada
• 2019 UCI BMX World Championships – Heusden-Zolder, Belgium
• 2019 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships – Emmen, the Netherlands
• 2019 UCI Gran Fondo World Championships – Poznan, Poland
• 2020 UCI Track Cycling World Championships – Berlin, Germany
• 2020 UCI BMX World Championships – Houston, USA
• 2020 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships – Oostende, Belgium
• 2020 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships – Sakarya, Turkey
BMX News will bring you more on the upcoming World Championships, and the opening of the North Houston Bike Park as details become available.
Top photo via Office of James Burnett, Landscape Architects (link below).